- June 6, 2017 – Keynote of Alto Biobío’s Mayor, Nivaldo Piñaleo.
- Comparative Report which include the substitutive indications submitted by the government and the Water Resources, Desertification and Drought Committee on April, 12 2017.
- April 18, 2017 – Keynote of DGA’s Director Mr. Carlos Estévez.
- Bachelet Government will submit significant modifications to the Water Code amendment draft bill
- March 21, 2017 – Keynote of Biobío River Oversight Board (notes).
During March 2011, a draft bill was introduced to the House of Representatives through parliamentary motion, initiating the discussion of a comprehensive amendment of the Water Code. Later, in 2014, the Bachelet Government submitted significant modifications to the draft bill, and set it out as a legislative priority.
After long debate, on November 22, 2016, the House of Representatives passed the bill, sending it to discussion at the Senate.
At this time, the draft bill is being discussed in the Water Resources, Desertification and Drought Committee of the Senate.
The amendment project pursues to amend the concept of water rights in order to: limit its exercise; to make them temporary; to limit the exercise of some water rights in situations of scarcity; to establish hypothesis for the caducity of water rights; to facilitate the intervention of hydrological areas by the State; and to reform non-use fee payment system, among other objectives.
Given the complexity of the project, the content of the draft bill will probably undergo substantive modifications during its discussion, all of which will be covered in this website.