- Law N° 21.064 which modifies the legal framework of water rights in Chile, regarding inspections and sanctions.
- Antonio Walker and Water Code amendment: “We cannot accept the weakening of water rights”
- November 27, 2017 – Keynote of Agricultural Central.
- November 27, 2017 – Keynote of SOFO, CAS and Sago.
- November 27, 2017 – Keynote of Mr Ronald Fischer.
During March 2011, a draft bill was introduced to the House of Representatives through parliamentary motion, initiating the discussion of a comprehensive amendment of the Water Code. Later, in 2014, the Bachelet Government submitted significant modifications to the draft bill, and set it out as a legislative priority.
After long debate, on November 22, 2016, the House of Representatives passed the bill, sending it for discussion to the Senate, where it was being analyzed in the Water Resources, Desertification and Drought Committee (“WRDDC”)
On April 12, 2017, the Bachelet Government as along with the WRDDC submitted modifications to the draft bill, which were later voted by the WRDDC.
Currently, the draft bill is being discussed in the Agriculture Committee of the Senate.
The amendment project aims to amend the concept of water rights in order to: limit its exercise; make them temporary; limit the exercise of some water rights on scarcity situations; establish caducity hypothesis for water rights; facilitate intervention of hydrological areas by the State; and reform the non-use fee payment system, among other goals.
Given the complexity of the project, the content of the draft bill will probably undergo further substantive modifications during its discussion, all of which will be reported through this website.